Saturday, May 1, 2010

Update

I have been pretty busy since my last post. I went back up to post and fixed the workstation computer again. I then started the process to relocate (we might have to move the workstation because the landlord wants to double the rent and his asking price is unreasonable)...this means I talked to everyone I could think of to find out if there were available properties of the size I would be looking for. There are no real estate agents in the Alibori. I talked to NGO directors, school professors, mayor's office officials, my guards, the nuns at the local catholic mission, the post office guys....you get the idea. I finally tracked a couple leads on 4 houses from the guy at UNDP's environmental volunteerism project and the guard at the bus station. The friend of the bus station guard actually looks like my best bet and I will start to see sites on Monday. My last post mentioned I was heading up...I spent 3 days at post, paid guards and started the house hunt...then I went back down to Cotonou for a national VAC meeting...am currently en route to head back up to post and get an eye on these possible workstation sites and get specs/prices. I am half and half on moving workstation sites. On one hand it would be a cool thing to write on a resume that I saved PC 25% on rent costs by finding a new site and relocating....but the move would come at the very tail end of my service....I really did not want to be THAT busy at the end. Weather has been really strange the last few weeks. It actually rained in the Alibori! It was 74 degrees the morning I left (Monday the 26th)! For chaleur weather that is insane, but I really hope it continues. I read some of the reports of the oil spill in the Gulf...I hope that stuff stays away from our pristine white-sand beaches! Grandma, tell Obama this is why FLA is against off-shore drilling!

5 comments:

R.A. McKibbin said...

long time no talk. Sounds like you're doing well. You've still not answered my state department question. Namely, what in the world would you be doing!!! Be safe. I'm praying for you.

Mike Chadsey said...

The management track means I would be responisble for the operation of the embassy...building, personnel, logistics, that sort of thing

mother said...

Good Morning, Son!
I have been thinking of you. My computer hasn't been working properly however it is up and running now and I keyed onto your site and read the many blogs that I missed You have been very busy! Do you need anything? Be careful on your travels esp. on the buses. I love you and miss you! I will be picking up Rach this next week Katy B is graduating and we are going to her ceremony Sterling will be out of middle school in about three weeks and then it is off to Sarasota High in August. Talk to you later. Got to hit the road and get to work. Be safe, my precious one! Love, Mother oxoxoxoxoxooxoxo

Dad said...

If Bush caused Katrina, Obama is definitely behind this oil spill

rchadsey said...

Eww, Dad, really?!? Did you watch Sarah Palin last week or something?? (when she said big oil was in Obama's back pocket... and, I guess, she completely forgot about Bush's upbringing, 8 year presidency, etc....)
Michael: <3 u! And, so far, still no progress on the billions of damage being done to the people, the earth, its waters, etc. :( It sucks.
Keep your eye open for a package from Nick & I! (It has oreos, which, even if broken into tiny pieces, are still delicious!)