Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hard at work...

Im in Porto-Novo for the day attending a PCV meeting with all the Vols from the south-east region. I have spent the last 2 weeks really searching around my village to find groups of people to hold composting formations with. Also, a main focus of mine has been trying to gain enough technical and generql knowledge about small scale fish farming in tropical Africa. I've been reading a lot of books and I've discovered this is going to take a much larger commitment from PC as well as the government of Benin. To develope a fish culture in a country PC has tradtionally placed anywhere from 7-17 fishery Vols in-country. These PCVS revieved fishery science qnd pond constructon training before they even reached thier country of service! Well, Im the lone fishery vol here in Benin and I think I'm the 1st one to arrive in-country for a long time. I have to speak to my APCD to determine if my posting is a viability assessment as compared to a jump-start for a future fisheries program. The small rainy season stops in a couple weeks. Its is starting to rain now so I will post this in case I lose power here at the cybercafe!

No comments: