Monday, October 6, 2008

Update...

Im in Cotonou again to hit up the internet and charge my electronics. On my way here I had my 1st real monkey sighting (for some reason I really wanted to see a monkey in Africa). I had already seen someones pet monkey in Porto-Novo but today, beside the highway in a tree, was a large black and white monkey!! So, post is going well. I have already started holding composting sessions. I hope the people I reach with these classes continue because in my second year I hope to start a tree nursery for mangoes. There is very little privacy because I live in a concession with about 7 other families right smack dab in the middle of a cluster of buildings in my village. Its not too bad, although from time to time you would like a break from the 20 African children running around. Right now the small rainy season is about to end and in southern Benin the long dry season will start. The weather actually gets hotter in November-January because the rains stop! At the beginning of the small rainy season (aug/sept) the people in my village plant manioc and corn. When dry season starts up they will start their gardens. They garden in the dry season because the rain here can be pretty harsh. School starts today for Beninese children, so Im sure they are all excited. Right now I am busy posting pix on flickr.com. I will post the link to those pics here when Im done. I'd like to ask everyone to send me pictures the next time they send me packages/letters. I mean pix of ANYTHING...houses, cars, aircraft carriers, supermarkets, factories/offices, just about everything in everyday life. Things are soo different here and when I explain things to the people here about America I think sometimes they can't quite grasp the concepts...but if I had a picture everything would be easier!! Thanks. And thanks to my mother I was able to order some furniture...by weds. I hope to no longer be cooking/sleeping/stacking my cloths on the floor...so thats exciting! I'll be in Cotonou for another 6 hours (its 5 am EST right now) and I'll check up on my blog before I leave so maybe you guys back home can catch me on your way to school/work. Miss everyone, and can you believe the Gators lost to Ole Miss?!? Incredible!

6 comments:

Jenni Campos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni Campos said...

Hey Michael! I have enjoyed reading your blogs. They are fun to read. It sounds like life over there is getting better. The Rays lost their first post-season playoff game to the White Sox yesterday. The Bucs lost to the Broncos (not sure if you are a fan), and the Gators beat Arkansas. =) Big T and TJ took me fishing and I caught my first shark. It took awhile to reel in, it was my size (5ft). I will try to take some pictures for you, it will give me something to do. Take care. Be safe, and GO GATORS!!

Mike Chadsey said...

Jenni!! What type of shark was it?? bull/nurse/lemon/blk tip? I hope the rays go all the way so then maybe they can build a new stadium.

Jenni Campos said...

Not sure exactly. It was too big to bring on the boat. It looked like a black tip.

mother said...

MICHAEL, AUNT MARGARET AND I WERE JUST SAYING HOW WE MISSED YOU NOT WRITING ON YOUR BLOG AND THEN TODAY, HERE YOU ARE. I THINK EVERYBODY THAT KNOWS AND LOVES YOU FINDS THEMSELVES TAPPING IN ON YOUR SITE ANXIOUSLY WAITING TO SEE IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN. WE WILL SEND PHOTOS OF EVERYDAY SCENES AND HOPE THAT THE PICTURES WILL HELP AFRICANS BETTER UNDERSTAND YOUR STORIES. STERLING HAD HIS FIRST TOURNAMENT IN WRESTLING AND TOOK HOME THE GOLD. WE MISS YOU AND SEND OUR LOVE. LOVE, MOTHER

Mike Chadsey said...

Thats great that Sterling won gold! Hows rachels new digs?