Sunday, December 27, 2009

Survivor X-mas

So I just hosted over 20 PSL 22ers in a work station that has a capacity of maybe 15. It was fun and loud and exciting and we survived! We celebrated a backyard cookout christmas...we cooked cheese burgers, deviled eggs, potato salad, and a slaw. Cookies were backed (ginger bread and ginger snaps) as well as 3 apple crisps. It was a fun, if hectic, time. I am glad a lot of the new stage made it up to see the Alibori. They were treated to nights that dropped into the 60's! This is very different from the mid 80's, high humidity of the south. A lot of people are hitting up the christmas safari and many have buddies/family over. Now I am trying to reset and get some more work for myself...frustrating. I think I mentioned the new generator last post.....if not: Our old generator was a 4.5 kW you might find at Home Depot, the new one is a mammoth 12.8 kW turbocharged industrial grade generator. I think if I run it at lower than 80% load then it will never reach operational temps and break seals/rings/ect. This seems as good a time as any to get the workstation an A/C unit!! For my next fantasy we will be installing a pool with decorative fountain.

3 comments:

mother said...

Happy New Years Son! LOVE MOTHER XO

R.A. McKibbin said...

go with the pool, and screw the fountain, get a slide!

Ben said...

I had many long conversations about that generator before we bought it, and that it wasn't going to last. Kippor, as I recall? No oil filter, even. I pitched the idea of going solar for the workstation, as being cheaper than a real quality generator, but that idea was DOA.

You're right that running the larger one without load is bad for it - AC is one solution, though you might have problems as it cycled on and off and thus the extra load went away - but what's called a "dummy load" is also a possibility. Hard to find in Benin though, and inefficient to the max.

Could probably also put the water pump back on the generator.

Ben (PSL 18)