Saturday, September 26, 2009

Super Busy...

I have had a very busy past couple weeks. First: not last Friday or the Friday before that, but the Friday before that I lived through my first earthquake. I was sleeping in Cotonou (the quake hit around 4 AM) when I heard a rumbling. I first thought a bomb was going off at the gate to the Bureau but then as the sound continued I thought it was a low airplane or dump truck outside. Afterwards for a few seconds it felt like the room was wobbling. Only the next morning were we informed that we had experienced an earthquake. After that I headed to Porto Novo to help train the new stagieres. I spent two weeks helping with and instructing the technical sessions. Yesterday we swore-in 50 new PCVs. 11 of whom are new Environment volunteers... unfortunately none of them will be coming up to the Alibori. My region will be getting 4 volunteers after one ETed last week. I am now fully fledged as a PCVL and am going to spend the next week just reviewing manuals and old monthly reports before I go on my first post visits so that I don't screw up an expense reimbursement or fail to pay the guards correctly.
Recent News:
I might have lost my PC ID and copies of my no-fee passport as well as my African bank ATM...maybe.
I am 1-1 in fantasy football due to the fact that the Steelers can't seem to run the Bears into the ground.
I inherited 5 'scholarship girls' in my new post. The scholarship girls program encourages girls to succeed in school by providing tutoring and paying for school fees and basic supplies for selected girls. My 5 girls are in terminale...equivalent to our 12th grade.
I tore two large holes in my feet playig touch football with the new PCVs ( it was RCH/EA Vs. SED/TEFL... aka REACH vs. DEF SLECT)
Hope everyone had a great September

2 comments:

rchadsey said...

Who needs an ID and/or a passport in a foreign, sometimes hostile country?!?
What you DO need are your precious feet!! Take care of you and your feet!! Glad to hear you are enjoying fantasy football? Which league are you in? With friends or strangers??
Love you Michael!!

R.A. McKibbin said...

Remember to change your socks. Dry feet = happy life.