Thursday, May 14, 2009

OK, the power is back on...

So the PCVLs maintain these workstations and help other PCVs with any problems they might be having with their post or assignment. Management of the workstation involves general day to day operations (bills, schedule guards, ect).
PCVLs also act as a liaison between Volunteers and the office staff in Cotonou. This helps streamline the process of addressing volunteer concerns. Instead of 100 PCVs the office staff only need to be in contact with 4 PCVLs. This contact includes monthly reports on workstation and regional PCV activities.
The PCVL also plays a big role in new site development. They solicit appropriate sites and assess the viability of newly proposed sites.
Every year they have to choose new PCVLs. It is normally a position for an extending 3rd year volunteer, but this year no one from PSL 20 applied for the position. This year 7 of my stage, PSL 21, applied. I know everyone wanted to have the opportunity to help their fellow volunteers at this level and I have to give a big congrats to the other PCVL selectees: Kyle Harrer, Chris Tsamoydakis, and Kaili Mumme. Luckily Chris (Environmental Action), Kaili (Rural Community Health), and myself (EA) were in the same training school during stage (EA and RCH trained together last year)...so we know each other very well. I have also spent more than my far share of time with Kyle (Small Enterprise Development) due to the fact that all training happened in Porto-Novo last year. Normally, training happens throughout the country and different sectors rarely see each other.
I will probably be moving into my new post in early September. But I won't be settled until late September because I will be training the in-coming stage for the two middle weeks in Sept. The current PCVL in Kandi COSes (Close Of Service) in early October, I think. So we will have to get some training in before all this goes down.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
B+e trailer test
It was a great article with awesome information regarding the topic b+e trailer test.
Thank You!