Thursday, February 5, 2009

So if there is a Super Bowl....

and I'm not on the continent, can the AZ Cards go? Apparently yes. It is offical...I have missed an entire Pro and college season of football. The bike tour went well. We talked to about 3000 people in 14 villages and planted over 300 Moringa trees. Over 200 women were shown how to incorperate Moringa powder into their cooking and taste the results. Everyone was very excited and worked hard to make everything run smoothly. We even ran under budget! The weather is turning here and the coton trucks are returning from the fields with their hauls. Soon the temp will rise upwards to 130 degrees...so I have that to look forward to. I was going to try and head to Mali and hike Dogun country in the coming months, but now that doesn't look like it will work out. After hecticly planning the bike tour I am now left with finding some other work to occupy my time. I have a few ideas but I have to flesh them out. I have been trying to search out someone in my village who speaks Arabic...i figure if i study arabic the state dept would hire me after the 2 yrs are over. As far as the knife question goes: I use my Kershaw 1/2 serrated. I have 2 mulititules and a swiss army knife but the Kershaw is just great. And it has taken a lot of abuse. Bad news on the watch front....my very neato citizen ecodrive was ripped from my wrist as i plunged 45 ft from the waterfall back in Dec. I really did not know how usefull the watch was to me until i lost it. (I never had a very good track record with watches). everyone is settling into their routines over here and loooking forward to welcoming the new PCVs in a few months. A PC Washington type was over here in Benin doing a sector reveiw of EA. His name was David Miller and we talked about an hour about the EA program. I think there is a meeting down south right now with mr. miller and a number of the EA PCVs. I will post pix from the bike tour and other places soon....i know i have been slacking recently due to the elusivness of the internet. Hope everyone is doing well. I recently recieved G-ma and Aunt Jills packages...but not my sisters package from Nov. Idk where it went....maybe it will still make it. Instructions for mailing me are just to the right of these blog entries! Talk to eveyone later (i think i'll make it on tomarrow before heading back to post)

4 comments:

R.A. McKibbin said...

What else can be said about a kershaw? It's the knife that survives in Africa!

Anonymous said...

Hey mike its alex...grandma said something to mom about you wanting to know about college for me next year...Im going to UNF starting in the summer. I just went and checked it out about a month ago and i love the campus, its on a nature preserve and its awesome. The dorms are also really nice...I will be living in the dorms with a random roomate my first year...anyways just thought I'd keep you up to date

rchadsey said...

Hi Michael!! I promise I followed your directions and actually sent 3 separate packages! Maybe they will get there soon. Maybe the shipping people got curious and/or hungry, who knows. :) I have another package almost ready and will roll the dice again soon. We miss you here in Florida and are sorry to hear about your watch. :(

mother said...

Check you email Michael.