Monday, April 27, 2009

Some answers to my sister's questions

Those lizards are probably some type of monitor lizard. They look like a mating pair so I think my neighbor just axed his chances of finding another lizard like these in the near future. Every year, starting in March, the men in my village start to go out into the bush to find animals to eat because my post is close to a national park and because the animals are starting to get really thirsty (it last rained up here in October...10/15/2008). This year they have not had all that much luck. A couple antelopes and a porcupine or two is all they have killed so far. I have not eaten any lizard yet but my buddy in RCH (Elliot) has. I think many of us have eaten dog, despite our best efforts, and I know many have eaten rats, antelope, pigeons, snakes, and even cats. I saw some kids leaving the woods carrying a dead hedgehog when I first arrived at my post. Basic rule: if it moves out there, it is fair game to eat. That is why the national parks are soo important. If the European Union stopped funding the park service here and they shut it down all those antelopes and buffalo and elephants and hippos and baboons and monkeys and warthogs would be done. There is not a lot of resource management over here. As far as the missionary family goes, they started to collect animals that people caught to save them. But know people are just catching things so that they will get paid for them. Apparently people come over all the time with porcupines and hedgehogs.

3 comments:

mother said...

Hi, Son! Is that you on the bike sporting a beard? I love the pictures of the bats. So you have eaten a slew of different animals huh? bet they all taste like chicken! Take care Honey. Will send a package Wednesaday Any requests? Rach spent some time here and then caught a bus back to Miami. We havd fun planting her to mato plants she has so many and then she planted my herbs and peppers and tomatoes when she was here. Love you!

R.A. McKibbin said...

Hey, Mike, my internet was down at home and my computer all but blew up at work so I been outta touch. Good to see you are doing well. Do you knwo what denomination the missionaries are? Tell them I will pray for them.
By the by, I am almost finished with a rewrite of my sci-fi novel (rewritten because the Tor publishers editor sent me a nice photocopied rejection). I'll email you it when I'm done. Keep cool, I'm still praying for you!

Ashley A. said...

Happy mother's day to M's mom :)
Michael, glad to see your doing good!