Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It can also rain...

During our training in Parakou it RAINED! A large wind kicked up yesturday afternoon and a band of dark clouds passed over the workstation. It was soo cool. It had been months since seeing the last rain...it still won't rain up in my region for another month or two. The break from the 110 + degree heat has been a plus. Heading back up today ( living in Africa you get used to long taxi rides: 2-14 hours) and will be helping another volunteer make park W more tourist friendly.

1 comment:

rchadsey said...

So I have been shocked by the toxic cashew trees and you have said there are little to no natural resources near you...
So are there any sustainable crops growing? What kind of agriculture exists? Anything plentiful near the ponds/rivers? You have described forests, but what about fruits/vegetables? Do people eat tomatoes??
(I have 35+ heirloom tomato plants in my backyard that LOVE the Florida sun but CANNOT live without 2 waterings a day, let me know if you would like to try some seeds over your way)
Mommy and I sent you a package about a month ago and I have another ready once I make it to the post office. If you think it's plausible, I will send you a few seeds that love the heat.
Let me know if you have received any of my packages (3 sent unsuccessfully, 1 in limbo), I will continue to send them regardless! Maybe I will start sending 3 seeds in each of my packages, just in case 1 reaches you!
:) We love you Michael!