Friday, September 12, 2008

So that was quick...

Normally I would still be at post right now and for the following few weeks, but shortly after moving in on monday I developed a fever. This fever continued with varied severity throughout the week and today I called the Medical office here in Cotonou and they asked me to come in to do some preliminary screenings to see if I have malaria or not. Chances that I actually HAVE malaria are VERY low because I regularly take my anti-malarials, bugs don't bite me, i don't hang out out-doors at dusk/nite, and I sleep under a mosquito net. But, all that said, malaria is a serious illness which is very prevalent in W. Africa and PC Benin takes possible infections very seriously. On a more positive note I'm now in the Cotonou office for a few days and can enjoy all those things only living with water and electricity can bring :)

My cousin Kelli's gifted class with Ms. Thompson at Stewart Elementary got their first look at my blog on monday. Hopefully they will start sending me questions via email or on this blog and I can answer them the next time I am near the internet (ie. Oct 5th). In the meantime, Kellie asked 'How do the Beninese people choose a president?' Benin became a Republic like our own nation in 1991. They have a national assembly (like our Congress), a constitutional law court (like our Supreme Court), and a executive branch. They held elections in 2006 and Yayi Boni won the presidency. I believe he serves until 2011.

OK, thats all I have for now. If any of Kelli's classmates get to read my blog before Monday, go ahead and email me a question or two and I can probably answer it before leaving the PC office my monday morning...your monday 2AM (because I'm 5 hours ahead here in Benin!)

No comments: