Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm in Kandi right now for a Thanksgiving dinner with all the volunteers from this region. Post is well, but to tell the truth I have not spent that much time there. I participated in an AIDS formation and mural painting at a health volunteer's post for a few days. I also went to Niger (illegaly) to be on radio Fahel to talk about american culture and the thanksgiving holiday. The past two days I was at the northern most volunteers post, organizing an enviromental themed bike tour. Baisicly 10 volunteers will mount biokes at the end of Jan and travel around these back roads to teqch the villigers about desertification, reforestation, and the nutritional benefits of a tree called Moranga. Right now I'm organizing the logistics and such, so I've been pretty busy. Here in Kandi I just mailed a letter off to Ms. Kelli Gault's gifted class. Unfortunatly I had to send it to my grandmothers house, so when it comes she can give it to Kelli and Kelli and take it with her to school. I hope it makes it! I also ordered a bed, a table, and a bookcase type thing to put my cloths on...sounds familiar doesn't it? Oh well. So far everything is going well, I am going to start pushing on the organization that controls the park to see if I could possibly get some work near the animals. Speaking of animals I saw a school boy walking past the other day with a hedgehog in his hands (dead of course, they were going to eat it)...now I know when the pet store says African Hedgehog they mean it! My new house is nice, twice the size of my old house and it even has a proper latrine and screen on the windows! I hope everyone enjoys the holiday season...I'll be in the south for training for 2 weeks in december so I will be able to get on the internet more easily then. I'll update everyone then, and hopefully post some more pictures.

6 comments:

mother said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Michael. It sounds like you are having a fabulous adventure! So glad to hear your post is a better place than the last one. Take care, Son. We all send our love and think of you everyday.

Anonymous said...

Hey,glad to here that you like your post,we are having dinner at my house (the gaults) and ray is home.last weekend rays team won their game so they get a ring and get to go play in the bowl game it is in albany New York


LOVE,KELLI AND EVERYBODY
HAPPY THANKSGIVING (:

R.A. McKibbin said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you are having a blast. By the way, do you still have the Bible I gave you? I know it will come in handy at some point.

rchadsey said...

I love you, Michael! We missed you are Thanksgiving dinner but we talked about you and prayed for your safety!
Ryan McKibbin you are so funny. :) I hope your wife and baby (toddler) are both doing well!

R.A. McKibbin said...

They are Rach, thanks.

rchadsey said...

Hi Michael! Hope you are staying safe and learning a bunch! Speaking of learning, I take the LSAT for the first (and hopefully only) time tomorrow (Sat 12/6) so wish me luck (telepathically send me some of your cognitive ability) and keep me in your positive thoughts! Nick and I send our love and hope our packages arrive to you before Christmas!! We miss you!!